Popping crackling noise when i start the car bmw 530i l6-...

Q: Popping crackling noise when i start the car

asked by on July 09, 2017

my cars making a popping noise when start it. my power steering isn't working, my battery light went on as well as my ddc light

It sounds like you may have an electrical faulty or short related to your alternator which may cause the popping sound you hear. As you may know, the alternator charges the battery while the engine runs by generating amperage and recharging the battery while the engine turns the alternator pulley. The voltage regulator is a unit that regulates the charging of the battery by the alternator and maintaining a certain amperage while the engine runs. When the alternator is not working properly, this may result in the battery quickly losing charge and the car losing all power. You may also notice a whining sound as a result of the bearings inside the alternator begin to fail. I would recommend having an expert from YourMechanic come to your location to diagnose and inspect your charging system.