Q: Pistons slapping on a '98 Forester

98 Forester; 215,000 miles; Tons of pistons slap when I start. Will Lucas help or is it time for a new engine?

A: It’s sounds like it is time for a new engin...

It’s sounds like it is time for a new engine. Those have those boxer engines that are opposed and they just wear out over time, because they’ve got pretty much more strain than a normal engine and it puts a lot of horsepower. That’s why Porsche uses them. But it’s time for a new engine. My advice with those things is to not try to fix your engine. Get a new remanufactured engine or find a low-mileage used one from a salvaged yard that has got installed speedometer, so you can see how much mileage is on it.