Q: Panel lights on with ignition off

Vauxhall Astra key in ignition engine on running press clutch to start car and panel lights flash I press cluch and engine fires without turning key. Is it safe to drive please

A: It sounds like you have a problem with your...

It sounds like you have a problem with your electrical ignition switch. If systems are powering on your vehicle without turning the key, then that is one of the few components that could be the cause. An internet search also reveals that is a common issue with Vauxhall Astra’s.

Driving around with a faulty ignition switch is not a good idea. It means that various systems in your car can run or turn off at anytime. Have your car looked at by a certified technician, such as one from YourMechanic, for a complete diagnosis of the issue and help you replace the ignition switch as necessary.