Q: P2196 OBD-II Trouble Code. came and went in 24 hours. 4 starts.

3 weeks ago code Check Engine light came on, Dealer mechanic found Trouble codes P018C And P2196. Mechanic replaced Fuel Pressure Sensor. Mechanic added Note o2 Sensor Not malfunctioning at his time.

Yesterday Check Engine light came on I pulled Trouble Code P2196 using my OBD-II reader. Today, upon starting vehicle and driving for appx 20 minutes check engine light was still on, parked car at dealer, shut engine off, restarted Check Engine light came on. Started car to move up in line Check Engine light went off and has remained off. Not wanting to drop another $100 for diagnostic fee I left.

I will drive for the week and monitor, unless this sounds like a common issue.

If the mechanic tested the output (functioning) of the oxygen sensor, especially according to the protocol at this link and found that the sensor was non functioning at that time, what you might be experiencing is a "failing" oxygen sensor and so the latest instance of Code P2196 might be explained by that. A complexity though is Code P2196 has many causes other than a failing oxygen sensor including: a faulty fuel pressure regulator; MAF (Mass Air Flow) sensor; ECT(Engine Coolant Temperature) sensor or damaged ECT wiring; leaking or stuck open fuel injector or injectors; and spark plugs and/or coil pack. Basically, if the Code (P2196) recurs, the oxygen sensor output can be re-tested but the mechanic will hopefully be aware of all these other possible causes of that Code setting. If the Code recurs, you can request a check engine light diagnostic and a certified Mechanic, dispatched by YourMechanic right to your location, will get this resolved for you. If you have further questions or concerns, do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic as we are always here to help you.

3. P2196 OBD-II Trouble Code. came and went in 24 hours. 4 starts.