Q: Key won't turn after inserting into ignition

The key will not turn when I put it into the ignition. The key is not locked in - it just refuses to turn after inserting it. Naturally I can’t start the car. What is wrong with the key or the ignition?

A: Hello. It sounds like the ignition has lock...

Hello. It sounds like the ignition has locked up and this is preventing your key from working properly. This sometimes happens if the components inside the ignition gets worn out and gets stuck, preventing the key from turning the ignition. I have found this to be a common problem with general motor vehicles and is easily repaired by replacing the ignition.

A locksmith may have to assist you in reprogramming the key to the new ignition. Have a certified technician, like one from YourMechanic, come and complete an inspection to pinpoint exactly why your key does not turn and make recommendations about repairs.