Is it bad to floor the gas pedal on your car? honda cr-v ...

Q: Is it bad to floor the gas pedal on your car?

asked by on October 05, 2017

Is it bad to floor the gas pedal on your car? I rarely if ever do this but last night I had it in sport mode and I just wanted to see what power the engine had. It was maybe floored for 10 to 15 seconds. I've actually heard it's good to do this every once in awhile to clean the injectors and engine out. My question is, Is this bad and do you think there was damage?

Occasional severe acceleration is substantially harmless to an otherwise normally functioning engine. The issue of accelerated wear typical arises if the severe use is consistent and continuing over a period of time. Rates of acceleration, high or low, have absolutely zero effect on fuel injector, or engine, cleanliness. Consistent, severe rapid acceleration can cause accelerated engine wear and, if severe enough, will shorten the service life of the engine. The effects on the transmission (clutches, bearings, torque converter) may be more "severe" than on the engine though. As far as the extent to which you could see, or measure, the damage due to "hard driving", there are a lot of variables involved (maintenance, type of oils, actual severity, operating temperatures, random variations in parts, and so forth) and so nobody can give you a precise forecast of what effect you might expect. If you have further questions or concerns, do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic as we are always here to help you.