Q: P0014 on scanner

asked by on November 05, 2016

I replaced the vvt solenoid n still having issues with idle and mpg and take off no power on bottom end. I can view live data and my tps % is 14 to 20 at idel and key on engine off it is 29 and at wot it's only goes to 87.6% my question is will the tps trow the ecu off to make it think the cam isn't adjusting right and causing all this
And making it code a cylinder 3 misfire n miss at idle n under a light load on interstate at 2000 rpm and when A/C is on My car has 129222 miles.

Hi and thanks for contacting YourMechanic. The code p0014 refers to the camshaft position sensor ’B’ circuit with the timing over-advanced. The TPS will not make the computer think of a cam not adjusting correctly. With the code p0014, check the wires to the camshaft position sensor and make sure that there is a good connection. If the camshaft sensor has a good connection, then you will need to replace the sensor.

For only cylinder 3 having a misfire, check the coil pack and spark plug for that cylinder. Make sure that the spark plug has a solid blue / red spark and has no burn spots. If the spark plug is good and the ignition is working, then check the fuel injector for cylinder 3. To do this, simply unplug the harness plug to the injector with the engine running and see if the engine begins to hesitate more. If it does, then the injector is working. If it does not, then either the injector is not working or there is a major leak in that cylinder. Next, put a compression gauge on the cylinder and check to see what the compression is. If the compression is low and around 70 - 95 psi, then there is something wrong with cylinder, like the rings worn and sticking, a valve could be burned or bent, or the head gasket could be burned. If you need further assistance diagnosing your vehicle, then seek out a professional, such as one from Your Mechanic, to help you with your engine misfire condition.