Q: Overheating when car is stopped

asked by on May 12, 2016

My daughter's car has around 120k miles. If it stops, like at a red light, the temperature gauge goes into the red, and occasionally we will see a warning light. When the car starts moving again, it cools back down.

A local mechanic bled the air out on my first two visits (what does that even mean?) When the mechanic uses their computer, they show nothing wrong. Last time I took it in, they said I needed a new fuel pump, so I had it replaced. (Not cheap) Now I'm angry. My car is STILL overheating. The mechanic said the thermostat was good, and I have no idea what to do. I don't trust these guys any more. Any idea what could cause my overheating issue?

I am almost certain that the cause of your issue is that your radiator fan is no longer working.

I would recommend starting your vehicle and letting it get to operating temperature. After it reaches this point, open your hood and check to see if the radiator fan is working. If the radiator fan is not working, heat will not be able to be removed from the radiator while the vehicle is sitting at a stand still. Once the vehicle starts moving again, the air will be forced through the grille of the vehicle, allowing the radiator to cool down again.

If you come to the realization that your radiator fan is inoperative, I would recommend having it replaced by a certified mechanic other than the ones you have been dealing with. YourMechanic offers technicians that will come to your home or office and perform services such as this, including a thorough inspection of your overheating issue. This may help to prevent a future breakdown due to overheating.