Q: Bad wheel bearing. How long can you drive it? 200 miles from home. safe????

Loud noise from rear. Pitch changes with speed. Think it's wheel bearing. Have a four hour drive home. Is it safe to drive??? Simple fix or involved repair

There is really no telling how long a worn part is "safe" for use. If the bearing noise has been growing gradually, then without suggesting it is "okay" to drive 200 miles, the noise may just grow worse over that distance. If the bearing noise appeared out of nowhere, then that suggests an immediate failure potential and should be changed BEFORE a 200 mile drive. Either way, it should be replaced as soon as possible. Replacing the bearing may involve removal of the suspension hub to remove and replace the bearing with a hydraulic press. If you’d like, a certified YourMechanic technician can come to your location to replace the wheel bearings on your vehicle and get you back on the road.

• Bad wheel bearing. How long can you drive it? 200 miles from home. safe????