Q: My car downshifts in low gear and the neutral light blinks while driving - 2002 Mitsubishi Eclipse

asked by on October 22, 2016

While driving my 2002 Ecplise it would down shift in low gear and the Neutral will start blinking What cause this?

Hello. A flashing neutral light is an indicator that the computer has detected a fault with the transmission’s electronic control system. The first thing I would do is check the vehicle’s transmission fluid to make sure that it is at the correct level and not excessively dirty, as bad fluid can cause all sorts of transmission issues.

If the fluid checks out, then it may be possible that the light has come on due to one of the transmission’s sensors or solenoids failing, or it is possible that a mechanical fault has occurred. If the transmission is downshifting, then it may be possible that the issue is serious enough that it is putting the vehicle into limp mode, which is a power reduced mode that is activated in order to protect the transmission from suffering possible damage.

As the vehicle does appear to be in limp mode, I would recommend you stop driving the vehicle and have the transmission trouble codes retrieved, as they will likely shed some light on what the issue may be. Have a certified mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, determine why the warning light is on and suggest any needed repairs.