Q: Over filled oil gears shift late on turns. Will draining excess resolve issue?

asked by on February 12, 2017

When I turn the car it revs up to about 4k rpm before changing gears. I only drove about 25 miles after overfilling and am draining the excess oil but was wondering if damage had already been done. Or if draining excess oil will resolve this issue

Change Oil and Filter $92.43 - $157.60 Get a Quote

Hello, thank you for writing in. There are several things that can happen when you overfill the oil in your engine. The damages can range from high oil pressures (and stress on the system), to complete engine failure. With that said, you may have partially locked up the engine, bent a rod or valve, blown oil into the combustion chambers, or caused the oil pump to fail. The only real way to tell is to drain the oil and see what kind of condition it runs in after the oil level is brought to spec. If you are hearing new noises, it is running funny, or there are any changes, have it inspected by a professional. For any further help resolving the issue, contact our service department to schedule an appointment.