Q: Opinion on GM's 4.3-liter Vortec engines

What's your opinion on GM's 4.3-liter Vortec engines? My father has a 2004 Chevy Express 1500 with 400,000 miles and he's looking to get a new one. Are they reliable or is it just a coincidence?

A: With the overall vehicle, it is a coinciden...

With the overall vehicle, it is a coincidence for your father. A lot of times, the vehicles fall apart. The engine themselves are actually decent engines. They are strong engines, those 4.3-liters. But the Vortec fuel injection system on them is often garbage. It has a lot of plastic on it and it melts. When it does, you have to replace them all at once and you usually end up spending up to $1500-1800 dollars to replace all the fuel injection parts. I'm not a big fan of them myself but the engines themselves are decent engines. I think he got lucky though, to get that kind of mileage. He probably takes really good care of his vehicles.