Q: Opinion on certain oil additives

What do you think about oil additives like Ceramic Microspheres, Molybdenum disulfide? Are they good anti-wear friction modifiers? If so, why do car manufacturers not use them? Also is steaming manifold a good idea?

A: You should leave the manifold alone. A lot ...

You should leave the manifold alone. A lot of times they crack so just leave that alone. Some of the additives do actually work to some extant. I know that molybdenum disulfide actually does work. It’s a very good lubricant. There is no arguing it is a good lubricant.

As fort he ceramic microspheres, most of that is all show. I had an invite a couple of years ago. They showed oil and telling about lubrication, sending me to their factories and I could ask them all kinds of questions. I asked them about that stuff and they researched into it and said that really it isn’t going to do anything and for some modern cars it could actually cause damage. Especially the cars that have variable valve timing. That I wouldn’t mess around with. But, if you’ve got an old, worn-out car, yes the Molybdenum disulfide additives actually do work as does stuff like Lucas oil treatment. They actually do something. But, if you’ve got a normal car and it runs perfectly fine and you change the oil regularly, you don’t need to add anything. The oil that you buy has enough additives already. That is mainly for old junk cars that burn a lot of oil and smoke. You can add those and sometimes they will help them a bit.