Q: Wrench light has come on numerous times 2008 Ford Explorer

First time it came on it went to the ford shop, they said it was my ignition switch so ford dealership changed it , the second time it came on took it back and they changed the front wheel bearings. Car was ok for a few weeks and the third time it went in they replaced a melted sensor wire , said they found the problem and guess what? That wrench light (power train malfunction) came on twice but when u turn off the car and turn on again it goes off!!! So crazy they don't know what is really going on with the car , so frustrating

A: Hi there - the "wrench light, which al...

Hi there - the "wrench light, which allegedly indicates a variety of problems with the drivetrain, is a huge source of frustration on the part of Ford owners such as yourself. It is not well understood, or trained for, by many Ford techs themselves. There is a Ford technical service bulletin (#252290) which addresses this topic exclusively. I would discuss it with your Ford service rep. I would suggest you not make further repairs based on their hunches or second guesses, without a real diagnosis of the underlying problem - based on Check Engine codes or real symptoms. Otherwise, confusion and fear continue. I would recommend getting an unbiased 2nd opinion by a mobile, professional mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, who will come to your location, diagnose this problem, give you an accurate assessment of damage and cost estimate for repairs.