Q: on a 2009 Golf 1,4I Intermittent self start problem-on turning the key there is a 'wizz" sound but the starter does not kick in.

on a 2009 Golf 1,4I Intermittent self start problem-on turning the key there is a 'wizz" sound but the starter does not kick in. this has been happening for a couple of weeks, a few days its ok, then it will occur again then a day or two ok etc. I have had the battery & alt charge rate checked- is all good & to spec. Could this be a relay prob or a starter motor prob even though it works perfectly when it does work. Could the bendix be "sticking" intermittently & would I be able to ascertain this if I remove & inspect the starter motor?

Hello, thank you for writing in. Typically when the starter motor fails, it does so entirely without an intermittent phase. You are more likely having an issue with the circuit and/or wiring pertaining to the starter system. One way to know for sure is to measure the amount of voltage going to the starter when it is acting up. If it is lower than 10 volts (12 being optimal), the starter does not have enough power. If this is the case and your alternator and battery are fine, you will want to go through the electrical wiring and find out where the power is being lost. If the starter solenoid attached to the starter is getting enough power, the starter solenoid is to blame. For more help with testing or repairs, contact our service department to schedule an appointment.

Hi there. Typically the ’whizzing’ sound you’re hearing is the starter spinning over without the input gear engaging with the flywheel. This can happen intermittently and eventually will fail entirely. It’s a good idea to have the starter and starter relay replaced at the same time, to ensure the system has the best opportunity for longevity.

3. on a 2009 Golf 1,4I Intermittent self start problem-on turning the key there is a 'wizz" sound but the starter does not kick in.