Q: Oil pressure light illuminates when vehicle is idle.

asked by on October 23, 2016

When you crank it up or stop and the truck is idle the oil pressure light comes on but when you press the gas it goes back to normal.

Oil Pressure Light is on Inspection $79.99 - $99.99 Get a Quote

The oil pressure switch on the engine is open or closed. As long as the pressure is normal, the switch stays closed causing the PCM to signal the instrument cluster to move the oil gauge to normal range. You should scan the computer to see if the sending unit is indicating open or closed. If it is open then you will need to manually check the oil pressure to see if it is within specifications. If pressures are okay then replace the pressure sensor. If you need, YourMechanic can send a trained professional to your location to inspect the oil pressure malfunction.