Q: Oil Pan Drip

Hello, I have a slow drip coming from my oil pan (I am 100% certain its from the oil pan). I am looking to use a sealant product to help either rejuvenate the current gasket, or seal the leak coming from the pan. Do you have any suggestions as to what kind of sealants I can use?

I'm not planning on removing the pan, I was hoping to apply sealant to the current cover.

Thanks!

GM does not specify, nor recommend, any aftermarket sealant for this repair. There is a particular concern about the deleterious effects of aftermarket compounds added to the engine oil that "claim" to seal leaks. Furthermore, there are no products on the market that will "rejuvenate" gaskets. "Rejuvenation" is nothing but a marketing scam. The only recognized repair strategy in the event of an oil leak is to disassemble the components and install a brand new gasket, or sealant as specified, all the while using the correct torque specifications for the bolts holding the assembly in place. YourMechanic staff use, and thus recommend to customers, ONLY recognized, authorized professional repair techniques as such techniques are documented by the OEM manufacturers in their respective technical service manuals and/or service bulletins. In your circumstance, the approved procedure is to remove the oil pan, thoroughly clean all parts, inspect the sealing surfaces for damage and straightness, and install a brand new OEM gasket using a calibrated torque wrench to avoid over tightening or under tightening the gasket. All other repair strategies amount to "experiments" which anyone is of course welcome to perform but the OEM’s have already done the experiments and found the solution to be to replace the gasket. If you desire this repair on a mobile basis, please refer to YourMechanic’s oil pan gasket replacement service page and a certified mechanic will get the job done right and according to the instructions. If you have further questions or concerns, do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic as we are always here to help you.

3. Oil Pan Drip