Q: Oil pan covered in oil, but no dripping

When I went to a local auto shop for an oil change, they told me that they couldn’t do it because there was a huge leak in the oil pan. After getting home, I took a look and could not find any dripping, even though the pan was covered in oil. I still need that oil change. Should I get a new oil pan first or should I wait on that and just change the oil myself? How big a problem is this since I didn’t see any dripping?

A: If your oil pan is covered in oil, that mea...

If your oil pan is covered in oil, that means you have an active oil leak that may be coming from higher up on the engine. The valve cover gaskets may be leaking and running down to the oil pan. You may need to have the entire engine cleaned. Afterwards, leak detection dye can be used to see where the leak is coming from. From there you will know where the source of the leak is and change your oil and filter. In the mean time do not let the engine get low on oil.

If you need assistance with this, contact a professional mechanic who can pinpoint your oil leak and make the necessary repairs. They can also service your cars oil/filter needs as well.