Q: oil light on. Will not start.

I got a oil light and it started to make a knocking noise. Pulled over and it started smoking from the oil cap. We added oil and coolant (has a leak) and went to start her up, and it will turn over but will not start. It acts like it wants to but will no actually do it. Is this something that can be fixed?

A: The low oil level and knocking noise may be...

The low oil level and knocking noise may be very likely related in that this may have caused a number of things to fail such as crankshaft bearings or rod bearings. Depending on the severity of this, it may have damaged a crankshaft journal as well. Low oil combined with low coolant creates an extremely hot motor, causing damage to many different components. This also can cause the cylinder head gasket to fail as well which in turn creates a compression leak that may be responsible for the engine not starting now. When this happens, the cylinders will not generate enough compression to create the proper combustion for the engine to start. If you need assistance, a certified YourMechanic technician can help inspect your vehicle's starting issues in relation with this knocking noise and suggest any necessary repairs.