Q: Oil light goes off and on.

It started aboit 2 or more weeks ago i start smelling oil burning not a lot it was light ok as i was driving today the oil light came on so i go to gas station to check the oil but i needed no oil so let the hood down and started on my way about half an hour later it came on again ok it came on when i stop the car and when i started to drive it would go out thats what it did till i got home as i was driving the light would go out and when i would stop it would come back on so is it safe for me to drive until i get it fix about 3 months ago put another engine in car so don't know correct mileage

A: This light will usually come on when one of...

This light will usually come on when one of two things are happening. Either the motor is in fact low on oil or the oil pressure sending unit is not working properly and may be producing a faulty reading. I would recommend first, to check the actual oil level in the motor by using the dipstick. Be sure the oil level reaches the "full" mark. If this registers as "full" then you likely have a faulty oil pressure sending unit. I would recommend having an expert from YourMechanic come to your location to take a look at your vehicle to determine what may be causing your low oil pressure light to come on.