Q: When backing up the steering wheel seems to lock and there is like a squeaking noise,but when the car is warmed up it seems fine

asked by on November 10, 2017

I got my first left wheel bearing replaced and it seems like after that when I back up the steering wheel seems to be hard to turn and there's a squeaking noise from the front, but after the car is warm it seems to be okay. Just seems like when I back up I have that problem, but today it lasted a few mins

Power steering fluid is leaking Inspection $79.99 - $99.99 Get a Quote

This suggests your power steering pump may be failing or you have a leak elsewhere in one of the power steering lines. The power steering system operates on very high pressurized hydraulic pressure (in some cases as much as 300 psi). As a result, the pump works very hard to maintain the ability to assist turning your steering wheel and when the pump is overworked due to the rack and pinion not pump fluid properly or potentially due to pinched fluid lines, this may cause it to leak. When this happens, as the pump loses fluid it may cause it to squeal or whine as a result of inadequate fluid. The lack of fluid will cause the hydraulic pressure in the system to drop and you may notice the steering becoming a bit more stiff when turning the wheel. Power steering leaks are fairly common, but should be looked at immediately by a qualified mechanic as power steering fluid can be flammable especially when under extreme pressure. I would recommend having an expert from YourMechanic come to your location to diagnose your power steering system.

Experienced Mechanic?

Earn up to $65/hr