Q: Oil leak

Hey I have an oil leak seems to be right under the oil pan I was thinking maybe a gasket or the oil pan its self im trying to figure out if I have enough for it. So my question is what is the most expensive type of oil leak or place a oil leak will occur that will cost the most labor wise and part wise? Its a slow oil leak as far as I can tell and the whole oil pan is soaked in out and its all running off of the oil pan dripping to the ground.

A: Generally, as a technician, we wash down th...

Generally, as a technician, we wash down the engine, add fluorescent dye, and look for the leak. From there you can determine the sources of the leak(s). The leak may be coming from further up and dripping down.

If your vehicle is a rear wheel drive, the oil pan calls for 2.0 hours to replace. If it is four wheel drive you are looking at closer to 5 hours. The leak could be coming from another location though. It would be best for a technician to have a better look at this in person. If you want to have the oil leak diagnosed, a mechanic from YourMechanic can come to your home or office to locate the leak and make any needed repairs.