Q: not sure about lower rear shock mount

I just replace the struts on my car. On the lower rear mount there is a bolt that goes through the strut at the bottom and threads into a nut on the other side. Should the strut lower be pinched in between so it has no side to side movement or should there be a little play. One side has no play and one side has play. I don't know which is correct.

There should absolutely not be any play in your rear strut. The strut is intended to be pinched against the steering knuckle. The side that has no play that is pinched down is the side that is correct. I would recommend tightening up the bolt to make sure that the rear strut does not have play.