Q: Noises during startup, cannot restart - 1998 Isuzu Amigo

A few days ago, I started the car and it made a really rough sound. It kept making the noise and it took a while before the engine finally started. When the engine finally caught, another type of noise appeared. It was a very unusual crunching noise that was coming from the hood. The engine was running sort of weak. There was some mistiming as well. I thought that the timing chain was breaking by the sound of it, as if it was jumped. I shut the engine off right away. I tried to restart it a couple of minutes later. It made the rough sound again, similar to the sound a broken starter makes. The engine wasn't catching. I didn't have much difficulty starting the car before. It used to have EGR codes but not any more. I've been getting drop in gas mileage. So, what might be the problem?

Hello. From the symptoms you describe, it would appear that your vehicle is experiencing some sort of mechanical issue. If you noticed a reduction in power along with the sound, then it may be possible that there is an internal issue with the engine. If the noise appears to be greatly affecting engine performance, I would recommend you stop driving the vehicle to avoid the possibility of serious damage. As mechanical noises (especially those that are engine-related) can be difficult to diagnose, I would recommend having the noise inspected by a professional in person to be sure of the issue.