Q: Noise with steering wheel

asked by on December 13, 2016

I have noticed that while driving over rougher surfaces on the road, my steering wheel will make a "clunking" noise. There is no noise when turning or when driving at higher speeds, only when driving over bumps or rougher surfaces. Also when stopped at a red light, if I jerk the wheel back n forth quickly there whill he a type of clicking noise. Any advise or info is appreciated.

Hello, thank you for writing in. There are several reasons your vehicle may make noises related to steering. The first thing to consider is that the steering, suspension, and brakes are all heavily related. Often you feel issues with the suspension or the brakes in the steering wheel first. This may be why you are associating the issue with steering, when it very well may be an issue with the suspension. Although you shouldn’t hear any noises when turning the steering wheel while stopped, doing this can be damaging to your steering components and you should minimize the amount that you do it. At this point, you will want to inspect the suspension components. This can be done with a number of tests, some of which you will want to have the vehicle raised up off of the ground. For more help with this inspection, contact our service department who will come to your home or office.