Q: No working gas pedal, hard to shift

I was driving to work the other day in my 2006 Ford Escape when my gas pedal stopped responding. I thought something was wrong with the pedal or throttle at first, but when I slowed down and tried to shift into park it was extremely difficult. I finally managed to get it back into gear in order to get to a place to park it and it wouldn’t shift out of first gear (it’s an automatic). Is the transmission totally done for or would getting it repaired be possible? The car has 100,000 miles on it.

Getting a transmission repair is possible depending on the damage that has been done. The repair could involve simply replacing a sticking transmission linkage and adding transmission fluid to correct a low fluid level. If neither one of those are the issue then internal transmission damage is a likely cause. The transmissions on the Ford Escapes have been recorded to have both of these issues. If the transmission is losing fluid, the leak could be located on the transmission pan, case or A/C condenser. However, the most likely cause of transmission leaks on the Ford Escape are the cooler lines. Have the lines and other related parts looked at by a professional to ensure no leaks exist. During this inspection have the throttle linkage lubricated as well to be certain that it is not sticking. If no leaks are found and the problem persists, visit your local Ford dealership and speak with them about your issue. Considering that this is a somewhat common issue with Ford Escapes they may be able to give you some insight as to what may be wrong with your transmissions internal parts. Paying for a teardown of the transmission just for diagnosis can be expensive so having the ability to diagnose the issue without disassembly can be beneficial. The Ford dealership has diagnostic equipment available to them that independent shops may not have access to, which helps them to diagnose problems more efficiently. Once the system has been looked over in full detail the decision to repair or replace can be more easily decided.