Q: No overdrive in my car.

I have a 1997 mercury tracer, 153k miles, was driving fine then cant get overdrive after work. I thought maybe it was the transmission oil so i changed it, dropped the pan, drain, new fluids, had already change the filter before. No metal or burning smell. Check the shift solenoids on the bottom. Check the transmission speed sensor. The code shown was p1334 low evap. At 50mph, rpm is at 3 and at 65-70mph, rpm around 4.5—5. When accelerating, you can feel 2 gear transition but anything pass 45-50mph, the rpm increase with the speed which is the problem. Any suggestions, i am not a professional, but the it narrows down to a few things like the 3-4 shift solenoid or the transmission range sensor, according to online research. Please help.

Hi there. Check the 3-4 shift solenoid through the harness to the transmission and see if there is a resistance on it. If there is no resistance on the solenoid, then the solenoid is burned up and needs replaced. Also, try shifting the vehicle manually from low, 2nd, and drive.

If the vehicle does not go into overdrive, then the shift solenoid is not working.

If the transmission does shift in the overdrive, then the transmission position sensor could also be a factor.

If both the sensor and solenoid are working,. then check the downshift solenoid and see if its dumping too much pressure.

Overdrive gear selection requires a lot of pressure. If you need further assistance with your transmission not going into overdrive, then seek out a professional, such as one from Your Mechanic, to help you.