Q: No gas getting to the engine

I have a 1987 GMC jimmy it has the 2.8v6 in it I was driving it an one day it just shut off an there's no gas spraying through the carburetor I can pour gas in it an it'll start but won't stay running I don't know if its the fuel pump or what

The easiest thing to check is to listen to the fuel tank when the engine is cranked to see if you hear the fuel pump run. If you hear it run, then check the fuel filter for it being clogged. The most common problem will be the fuel pump not pumping or the fuel pump relay not supplying power to the pump. A simple test of the computer will give a code if the power supply is not there for the pump and the relay is the most common cause of this.

If you do not have a code, then the power should be getting to the pump connector and it can be checked at the pump connector when the engine is cranked. If you have power to the pump, then it must be the pump. Sometimes a quick banging on the fuel tank will cause the pump to work again if someone is cranking it at the same time. This does not always work but if it does, it tells you the pump is bad and should be replaced. I also recommend replacing the fuel filter and relay with a new fuel pump.

3. No gas getting to the engine