Q: No brakes, but need smog check

Can I have a smog check performed on a car that the brakes are out on? The brake repair job has already been arranged.

Hello. If the brakes do not work at all, then it is not a good idea to drive the vehicle or have a smog test done. Most states require that this vehicle be put on a dyno to run the test. If your state requires this, or if your state requires a safety inspection as part of the smog inspection, then you should have the brakes repaired first. If the brakes work, but are just making noise, then I would go ahead and have the smog check done first.