Q: Car shuts off, tachometer shuts off with car running

asked by on November 27, 2016

Hi Patrick, i have a 2013 kia soul 1.6l and have been having a problem with the vehicle stalling, really it just shuts off, randomly, and when it does i can restart the car after 3 trys at cranking the vehicle, and always 3. However, the tachometer will not work and the car is a little sluggish but runs fine. I can drive the car 1/4 mile down the road, shut it off, and it will immeditely crank and the tachometer works perfect. The check engine light may or may not come on, most often does not, if it does come on then it will stay lit for approx 2 days and go out. Other times the tachometer can shut off but the car not turn off, i can restart the car after 3 cranks, But the tach wont run, and i can as mentioned before drive about 1/4 mile turn it off and it will restart immediately andnthe tach will work. It has thrown knock sensor code and camshaft position sensor codes

Car is stalling Inspection $79.99 - $89.99 Get a Quote

Hello - I believe your crankshaft position sensor, your camshaft position sensor, or both - are failing. These 2 sensors provide timing for the ignition - when to fire each spark plug. And, they also provide a trigger for the tachometer, since they are monitoring engine revolutions at the same time as providing ignition timing information. I would recommend a engine inspection by a mobile, professional mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, who will come to your location, diagnose this problem, give you an accurate assessment of damage and cost estimate for repairs.