Replaced power steering pump and fluid is shooting out of...

Q: Replaced power steering pump and fluid is shooting out of cap after driving when i turn engine off

asked by on March 04, 2017

Power steering fluid shoots out of cap after driving when i shut off engine

This is probably a consequence of air trapped in the system, and consequent aeration of the fluid, which builds pressure in the reservoir. If you did not experience this problem prior to the pump replacement, it might be due to incomplete bleeding of the system once you finished the repair. Check also for a defective or cracked cap of course. Once you are sure all air has been expelled from the system, if the problem recurs there could be a restriction in the return line to the pump or a leak that admits air. If bleeding does not resolve the problem and/or if you desire that YourMechanic inspect and bleed the system, simply request power steering pump inspection - system bleeding and the responding certified mechanic will get this taken care of for you. If you have further questions or concerns, do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic as we are always here to help you.