Q: Car jerks at over 60 mph while shifting from third to fourth gear

Hi. Recently, my car has been having transmission problems. The transmission fluid was changed at 40,000 miles and it still looks fine. The car has gone around 90,000 miles. Now, if I drive around 60 mph and above and shift from third gear to fourth gear, the car starts jerking badly. Then, I have to let go off the gas as the engine is revving up and down. This only happens at highway speeds and never at 50 mph and lower. Also, there is no issue, if I lock the third gear on the shifter. How can I fix this problem? Thanks.

A: Hello. Most of the time, when this vehicle ...

Hello. Most of the time, when this vehicle starts doing this in higher gears it is because the transmission is failing internally. The clutch packs begin to fail and slip and this occurs. It can also be a pressure issue caused by a sticking solenoid or pressure control valve. Both of these are also common and a pressure control check be done to diagnose this. If you are going to have this repaired, consider YourMechanic, as a certified mechanic can come to your home or office to diagnose your car's shifting troubles.