Q: Needing transmission serviced.

My Check Engine light is on. I also think I need my transmission serviced.

Hi there. Your check engine light can come on for any number of reasons. If the vehicle is running fine and it just came on it may be as simple as a loose or faulty gas cap. If the vehicle is running poorly or if the light is flashing then it may be more serious. You may need a tune up or something more complex. Knowing the codes in the computer can help diagnose the problem. Just to get familiar with the codes you can have them scanned with a scan tool and see what codes come up. For a more thorough diagnosis you should get the help of a certified mechanic, like one from YourMechanic. As for your transmission, you should have it serviced every 50,000 miles. If it is acting up it may be beyond the help of a service, but the fluid will give you some signs of what is going on or what is to come depending on if the fluid is really dark or dirty, or if it has metal pieces in it indicating a serious transmission issue.