Q: Need to change a CV joint

Are there any special tools needed to change a CV joint in a 2008 Lincoln MKZ (AWD)?

A: There are quite a few special tools require...

There are quite a few special tools required. Although all of the tools are important, of high priority you will need a high capacity, properly calibrated torque wrench because the CV axle nut is torqued to 188 ft-lbs. For ease, I have a calibrated wrench that is literally three feet long. If the axle retaining bolt is not torqued to the factory specified value, or very, very close, you can destroy the wheel bearings (the failure to use a calibrated torque wrench on the axle nut is a very common cause of ruined wheel bearings). Among the tools required for this job on your specific vehicle are Halfshaft Remover (Part No. 205-832), Installer, Halfshaft (204-161 (T97P-1175-A)), Remover, Front Wheel Hub (205-D070 (D93P-1175-B) or equivalent), Remover, Steering Arm (211-003 (T64P-3596-F)) and Slide Hammer (100-001 (T50T-100-A)). Also, of critical importance, all bolts removed during this repair, from both braking components and the suspension assembly, must be torqued to the original values specified in the Factory Service Manual (FSM) and per the FSM quite a few of the specified bolts and nuts simply cannot be re-used. YourMechanic performs CV axle replacements at the comfort of your home or office and we would be pleased to provide a professional replacement for you.