clear/replace EGR valve honda 2001 egr (exhaust gas recir...

Q: clear/replace EGR valve

asked by on June 06, 2017

I have a 2001 Honda Accord LX 4 cylinder. The engine light is on and the code is P1491. It seems the problem is the EGR valve. What tools are needed to clear/replace the EGR valve? (e.g. What types of wrench and rockets?)

Hello, thank you for writing in. For exact specifications on tools needed and a step by step procedure, you will need to access a service manual for the vehicle. Typically you would expect to use a 12 mm socket or similar size. You will start by removing the EGR valve from the system. You will then want to clean the valve itself and the port in which it connects to. The carbon deposits are often difficult to clean and a chemical cleaner of some sort to help. Carburetor cleaner is a standard go-to for this kind of job. Make sure the electrical connections are clean, dry, and tight as well. For more help with this or replacing the valve, contact our service department to schedule an appointment.