Q: My Volkswagen sounds like it's got a dry wheel bearing in the front.

One day about 3 months ago my car started whining having a small wine in it and now it's gotten to the point where it sounds like it has a dry wheel bearing that is dry I don't know if it's in the transmission or if there is a bearing that can be replaced what would be your opinion on it

Judging by age and mileage, if you haven’t had a wheel bearing failure yet, you’re about due. Wheel bearing noise differs from transmission noise in that it sounds the same no matter what gear you are in. It will change in tone with the speed of the car, but will remain about the same when you shift gears. CV joints usually make a clicking or popping sound and then mostly in sharp turns. A left front wheel bearing will sound louder when you are turning to the right, and vise versa. But beware! bad tires can also make a sound very much like a bad wheel bearing. To have a professional check out your car to be sure what you need to fix, you can contact Your Mechanic. They will send a technician to your home or office to check out your whining noise and help you decide how to fix it.

• My Volkswagen sounds like it's got a dry wheel bearing in the front.