Q: Ethanol - E15

asked by on February 27, 2017

So what is your personal and professional opinion on E15? My mechanic who is kind of old school likes a bit more ethonal, he says it's like a gas treatment.

Ethanol is a chemical compound that has very specific, defined combustion characteristics once used as a fuel in an engine, or once mixed with other fuels such as gasoline. Voluminous data documenting the advantages and disadvantages of ethanol as a fuel have already been published by government agencies, motor vehicle manufacturers, some academic institutions and scientific laboratories and test facilities. Within the dataset are many sub-divisions describing all types of engine applications (engine type, size, vintage and on and on). The EPA prepared and collated much of that data in order to arrive at a scientifically defensible recommendation several years ago that only 2001 or newer vehicles use E-15. However, since that EPA decision, there are institutions that have published data and analyses but I have not reviewed those newer materials and so I cannot add any insight to what the EPA has already decided on E-15. Your best bet is to review the more recent scientific and technical literature on E-15 and if you do that, I am sure you will find what you are looking for.