Q: Why does my 1998 Honda Accord have trouble idling and it is using a lot of gas

asked by on February 26, 2017

The car has had the motor replaced and it's got less then 100,000 on her. It starts fine first thing in morning but then I have to keep foot on gas to keep it started. When I'm driving it she is fine but only when I come to a stop or slow down to 20 mph or less it dies. I can only start it back up once or twice but after that it won't start I have to wait at least 20 min. Please help me figure it out. And I think I'm going threw alot of gas to 200 miles and went threw almost 3/4 of tank

Car idle is rough Inspection $79.99 - $89.99 Get a Quote

Hi there. If you are using an excessive amount of gas an the engine will not idle properly then you may have a rich condition going on. Most of the time this is caused by either a fuel injector that is leaking, a bad fuel pressure regulator, or more commonly a faulty sensor. If one of the engine sensors are not reading correctly then this will occur. I would typically start by checking the computer for any codes and then checking the sensor readings to see if any of then are reading incorrectly. It is usually a bad oxygen sensor. If you are going to have this repaired, consider YourMechanic, as a certified mechanic can come to you to [diagnose why the car will not idle] https://www.yourmechanic.com/services/car-idle-is-rough-inspection