Q: My trunk light won't come on even though the bulb works and I have power. Does the light come on through the ground? Where?

My trunk light does not work. I tested the bulb to a battery and it works. I tested for power with a test light grounding to a bolt in the trunk and I have power. I wired the ground wire to the ground bolt near the light and it comes on, but won't turn off. Where does the trunk tell the light to come on? I checked the fuses also and they're all good. There is a plug coming off of the inner trunk latch for the key trunk opener. I used my test light and pressed the button and I got power. So there's three wires in that specific plug. I couldn't test two of them so I assume one is ground, one is the open the trunk with the key, and that other wire has to be a sensor I think. I'm not sure though so I hope you may have the answer for me but for now I will have to put the eyelet on the little bolt every time I need it lol

The trunk light is controlled by switching the connection to the body ground. The switch will either be visible in the margin of the trunk lid, as a plunger type switch, or it may be in that trunk latch assembly that you are referring to. If it is the latter assembly one of the wires will be to ground and you can determine which one by just checking for continuity between the switch and the body (and, of course, if no continuity, that is the problem). If you want the ground connection restored, please request an electrical inspection. If you request that service, the responding certified mechanic will get this diagnosed and resolved, right at your location. If you have further questions or concerns, do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic because we want you to make the most of your repair dollars and help you to get the best possible results.

3. My trunk light won't come on even though the bulb works and I have power. Does the light come on through the ground? Where?