Q: What do the air bag On and air bag Off lights mean on the dash?

What do the air bag On and air bag Off lights mean on the dash?

A: Depending on whether the front passenger oc...

Depending on whether the front passenger occupant classification system detects that the passenger front seat is empty, detects a child, or determines the passenger is an adult, it will turn on or off different lights, as well as controlling the air bags. Here’s what you should know:

• Adult

If the system detects that an adult is present in the seat, the air bag On light will light up. The supplemental restraint system (SRS) warning light will be off. The front air bag, the side air bag and the curtain shield air bag will all be active. The Seat Belt light will flash if the seat belt isn’t buckled.

• Child

If the system detects the presence of a child in the seat, the air bag Off light will be turned on. The SRS light will be off. The front and side air bags will be turned off, but the side curtain air bag will stay on.

• Empty

If the seat is empty, the air bag Off light will be on, the SRS light will be off, and the front and side air bags will be turned off. The side curtain air bag will still be active, though.

Tip

If the air bag Off light is on and the SRS light is on, it means there’s a malfunction in the system. Have the car inspected.