Q: My Truck will not go forward or backards when pushing on the gas.

My truck starts just fine. When I push on the gas to go forward/backward the truck will move briefly and will just become idle. As I push on the gas the truck will not move. I looked under the truck and nothing is leaking. please help!

The first thought I have is the throttle cable is broken. But you state it will briefly move when you push on the gas pedal. The only way I can think of for this to occur is if the throttle valve was stuck and broken somehow. I suggest you inspect the throttle cable system, the throttle body, and throttle valve. Check to see if there is something caught in the intake system. Start at the air filter and inspect everything all the way to the intake manifold.

Check to see if there is any air coming out the exhaust pipe. Catalytic converters have a habit of plugging. A restricted exhaust will have the same effect as a plugged intake air system. There should be a significant amount of air flow coming out the exhaust pipe. If not, create an exhaust leak by removing the pipe in front of the catalytic converter or remove the EGR valve. This can often be the simplest method of creating an exhaust leak. Once the exhaust has a new path, the motor should respond as normal. However, this is only a temporary fix to get your car moving again – you should have a mechanic inspect and repair your exhaust system.

Also, is there a check engine light on? That means there should be a code that will give you a clue as to what the problem is.

After that, I would check fuel pressure and scan data for obvious sensor failures, but I suspect either the intake or exhaust system is plugged. If you need help, a certified mobile mechanic from YourMechanic can come to your home or office to inspect why your vehicle isn’t moving normally.

3. My Truck will not go forward or backards when pushing on the gas.