Q: My truck keeps dying 2006 Dodge RAM 1500

My truck starts good and everything brand new battery alternater tested out good I think it was like 15 volts it was pushing out or 13 but when I put the clutch in and turn a corner it just does on me or revs really low or idles low what is the issue is it the fuel filter or what. Please contact me at jorden730@gmail.com

Hi there - I suspect your idle air control valve is not functioning correctly. It is a key component in smooth low speed operation. A dirty or malfunction throttle body or mass air flow sensor could also be the culprit. Check for any problem codes, whether the Check Engine is on or not. Clogged injectors could also make for low speed problems. I recommend a stalling inspection performed by a mobile, professional mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, who will come to your location, diagnose this problem, and give you an accurate assessment of damage and cost estimate for repairs.

Hi There, It sounds like you truck responds adversely to a change in fuel/air supply as well as the load put on the engine (i.e. when pushing in the clutch - this changes the load put on the motor). This is usually caused by one or two things such as a faulty or dirty idle air control valve or possibly a faulty MAP sensor. The idle air control valve monitors the air intake as it is mixed with fuel prior to being injected into the engine at low speeds and at idle. This valve is controlled by the vehicle’s computer and will adjust idle speed based upon other measurements such as engine temperature, intake air temperature and electrical system load or voltage. When you accelerate, the engine RPM increases, and as you let off the gas, the RPM slowly returns to the normal idling speed with the help of the idle air control valve making the transition from a higher RPM back down to idle speed while adjusting the air/fuel ratio constantly to allow this to happen smoothly.

The Manifold Absolute Pressure (MAP) sensor senses engine load and generates a signal that is proportional to the amount of vacuum in the intake manifold. The engine computer then uses this information to adjust ignition timing and fuel enrichment. When the engine is working hard, intake vacuum drops as the throttle opens wide. The engine takes in more air, which requires more fuel to keep the air/fuel ratio in balance. When the computer reads a heavy load signal from the [MAP sensor]((https://www.yourmechanic.com/services/manifold-absolute-pressure-sensor-map-sensor-replacement), it adjusts the fuel mixture to slightly more rich than normal so the engine can produce more power. The computer will then retard (back off) ignition timing slightly to prevent detonation that can damage the engine and decrease performance. This may also be caused by other closely related components such as a dirty or failing mass air-flow sensor, a faulty throttle position sensor or potentially a vacuum leak. I would recommend having an expert from YourMechanic come to your location to diagnose and inspect your vehicle.

3. My truck keeps dying 2006 Dodge RAM 1500