Q: My truck cranks but is slow to start. It idles rough and stalls out. I've already replaced my fuel pump - what could it be? 1997 Dodge Ram 1500

I have to turn my key multiple times to get my truck to start it would turn over but not start but after a couple times and I would have to keep my foot on the gas to keep it at idle it runs pretty loud to. But I thought it was my fuel pump but I changed that out still same issue. Also changed the TPS sensor.

Hello - I believe your problem is low fuel pressure, at least during the cranking phase. If the fuel pump check valve is not maintaining pressure in the fuel system while the engine is turned off, cranking time is long while the pump builds pressure. A dirty fuel filter, fuel pump relay with burned contacts, or malfunctioning fuel pressure regulator (fuel pressure low) may also be an issue here. On the air intake side, a dirty throttle body, and/or idle control valve would also create poor idling and stalling. I would recommend a thorough fuel system and air intake system inspection by a mobile, professional mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, who will come to your location, diagnose this problem, give you an accurate assessment of damage and cost estimate for repairs.

3. My truck cranks but is slow to start. It idles rough and stalls out. I've already replaced my fuel pump - what could it be? 1997 Dodge Ram 1500