Q: My reverse went out and the car won’t go over 20mph. It’s making noises as well.

I was on a small hill and I needed to go back up the hill so I put the car in reverse. It’s made this weird noise. After that it only go 20mph if I try to go higher it will sound like I’m hitting the gas with the car in park. It makes noises the entire time after I start the car.

The first thing to do is verify the fluid condition and if it is full. If the fluid is full then smell the fluid and put some fluid on a white towel to see if it is very dark and smells burnt? If it is burnt and dirty then you most likely have burnt out the clutches inside the automatic transmission and may have even broke some internal components if it is noisey. You may need to have transmission replaced or overhauled and recommend having a mechanic like one from YourMechanic come and check the symptoms for you.

3. My reverse went out and the car won’t go over 20mph. It’s making noises as well.