Q: My radiator fan is shaking

asked by on August 01, 2017

When driving, intermittently my car makes a rattle and vibration. This happens when coming to a stop, at idle, and sometimes while in motion. When I turn the engine off, if the car was vibrating at the time, there will be about half a second of rumble after the car turns off. It looks to be coming from one of the fans between the radiator and the engine, but I do not know this for certain. There is a lot of noise coming from the engine and it sounds as though the fans may askew, causing all of the sound.

What is the most likely cause of this, and what kind of maintenance should I be scheduling to resolve this problem?

Cooling/Radiator Fan Motor Replacement $120.68 - $1472.05 Get a Quote

There are a number of things that could be causing this kind of sound, such as bad idler/tensioner bearings, a loose cooling fan assembly. I would suggest having a professional from YourMechanic come to your location to take a look at the vehicle to determine what may be causing the sound you are describing.

Experienced Mechanic?

Earn up to $65/hr