Q: My power steering rack needs replacing. The part will cost me $989.98 plus the labor $460.00. Is those price fare?

asked by on June 02, 2017

So, my power steering rack is busted on the inside of itself! My dealership says the part will cost me $989.89 and it's an additional $460.00 to install it. I also need a tie rod end replaced. Which was said would cost me $52.51 for the part and $57.50 to install. And my steering wheel needs to be align. That was priced at $89.95. I need to know are these prices fare or not? Because I was told that I need have all of this work done before driving my car again or else it'll mess things up worse.

Steering Rack/Gearbox Replacement $321.16 - $2117.47 Get a Quote

Ouch! that’s a pretty hard hit! unfortunately it may not be out of line. I’m curious about your warranty, however. Many new cars are covered by at least a 5 year / 50,000 mile warranty. If the rack was not damaged by an accident or abuse, it may be covered. If the Toyota dealer is not helpful with questions, there will be a customer service number that you can call to try for some action. Failing that, it may do to get a second opinion. if you contact Your Mechanic, they can send a technician to your home or office to check out your steering rack and make a recommendation.

Experienced Mechanic?

Earn up to $70/hr