Q: My power steering is malfunctioning

The steering is making loud noises, smells like burning and just keeps turning......It won't lock. No lights are showing on dashboard referring to power steering. Please help

Hello, thank you for writing in. The vehicle may need a series of tests at this point. With no diagnostic codes to assist us in diagnostics, the power steering system components will need to be tested individually. When you refer to the steering continuously turning, what do you mean by that? If the power steering pump is making a "whirling" or "buzzing" sound, it likely needs to be replaced. Check the power steering fluid level and color. Make sure it is not black or gritty. If it is low, there may be a leak which would explain the burning smell. The fluid would likely leak out of a hose, the pump, or the housing. Locating the leak would be top priority at that point. For more help diagnosing the power steering system, contact our service department.