Q: My key ignition won't turn.

asked by on February 21, 2017

My ignition won't turn. I'm jiggled, WD-40, beat steering column and it won't budge. I recently bought a plain key because the problem might be old worn key. I've ordered a new cylinder but how can I replace it if the key won't turn?

The issue could be the steering column lock mechanism or the key cylinder, or both. To repair those components, typically there will be partial disassembly of the steering column. That is a sensitive area as the air bag is installed at the head of the column and the air bag must always be deactivated if you are working in that area. If you desire that the lock cylinder and possibly the lock assembly (depending on the damage) be replaced by a certified Mechanic, dispatched by YourMechanic right to your location, please request ignition cylinder/lock assembly inspection/replacement and the responding certified mechanic will get this resolved for you. If you have further questions or concerns, do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic as we are always here to help you.