Q: My Jeep is having EVAP Issues

asked by on February 01, 2017

Hi, I am not able to buy a new vehicle right now, so I'm wondering if you guys could possibly help to replace everything that's wrong with it, starting with the worst part (EVAP) first. I will list all of the issues to help you understand what's going on. I'm getting beyond horrible gas mileage, the evap purge solenoid is clicking, the Jeep feels like it has no power when I step on the gas/very sluggish, it downshifts out of nowhere especially going up hills, it sounds like a motorboat, when I turn it off and take my key out of the ignition it takes awhile before it finally shuts off, the fan is always on, it stalls especially going from reverse to drive (like it has zero power), while putting gas in the gas pump always pops out. I took it to a mechanic who didn't smoke test it and told me I need a new evap canister. There's probably more that I don't remember. Can you please help me? I'm so frustrated!

Thank you, Melissa

Evaporative Emission Control Canister Replacement $163.41 - $988.84 Get a Quote

Hello Melissa, thank you for writing in. We can absolutely help you replace the EVAP canister or other malfunctioning parts in the system. If there is a vacuum leak in the system, you will need to locate it. An EVAP leak will cause the symptoms you are describing, and they will worsen as the condition of the canister leak worsens. Now when it comes to the fuel pump stopping randomly while filling, it too can be attributed to the EVAP system. The pump’s nozzle has a small hole that pulls in air as the tank fills. Once that hole pulls in fuel rather then air, the pump knows the tanks is full, and stops the flow. However, the fumes inside of the tank which are regulated partially by the EVAP system can build up and now allow the fuel to flow down into the tank. When the tank filler neck backs up, the pump stops. For more help resolving the issue, contact our service department to schedule an appointment.