Q: My ignition locked up after all my dash lights were blinking car wouldn't start now can't get ignition freed up.

Ally dash lights were blinking and car would not start. My security system hasn't worked in a while but this just started happening with the lights on my dash and I have cleaned my terminals to the battery spotless. Now my ignition is locked up and I can't figure out why. What do I do.

There are a number of things that can cause your ignition to lock up. I am assuming you are speaking of the ignition lock cylinder which is what the key inserts into. The easy one is to turn the wheel to relieve the pressure it is putting on the internal mechanism of the ignition lock cylinder. This is common and many aren’t aware this can happen.

But you have stated the dash lights are doing some strange things. This suggests there is a problem with the ignition switch electrical which is directly connected the ignition lock cylinder. It is likely something inside the steering column has broken and will require the disassembly of the steering column to find the problem.

The ignition switch electrical can create a situation where the lights on the dash will light up. Cleaning the battery connections is always a good idea, but won’t have any affect on the dash or the turning of the key.

Begin by turning the steering wheel just enough to take the pressure off the lock cylinder. If that doesn’t work, disassembly of the steering column will likely be necessary.

If this seems to daunting to take on, you can book one of our technicians to come and help you out with diagnosing your ignition issue.

I’m not sure what the security system has anything to do with this as it won’t lock up your ignition lock cylinder. It is possible you could have more than one problem though.

3. My ignition locked up after all my dash lights were blinking car wouldn't start now can't get ignition freed up.